Department of Justice
Department of Justice (Internship) under the Ministry of Law & Justice, Government of India. The functions include the appointment, resignation and removal of the Chief Justice of India, Judges of the Supreme Court of India, Chief Justices and Judges of the High Courts and their service matters. In addition, The Department implements important schemes for the Development of Infrastructure Facilities for the Judiciary, setting up of Special Courts for speedy trial and disposal of cases of sensitive nature (Fast Track Special Court for cases of rape and POCSO Act), the E-court Project on computerization of various courts across the country, Legal Aid to Poor and Access to Justice, financial assistance to National Judicial Academy for providing training to the Judicial Officers of the country.
Purpose of Department of Justice’s Internship Programme
The Department of Justice (DoJ) organizes an Internship Programme for young law students doing internships. The purpose of this Programme is to well acquaint young law students with the working of the Department of Justice by giving training in the field of research & referencing work, in various specialized areas of justice delivery, such as Access to Justice (Tele-law, Nyaya Bandhu, Legal Aid, Probono legal services), eCourts services, Fast Track Special Courts, National Mission for Justice Delivery & Legal Reforms and CSS for development of infrastructure in the District and Subordinate Judiciary.
The interns shall be given an honorarium of Rs.5000/-on at the completion of their internship.
Duration of Internship
The duration of the internship ordinarily remains for a period of one month (four weeks). The monthly internship shall start from 20th June 2022 onwards during the current financial year (FY 2022-23).
The following three slots are offered during the 1 st Phase:
i. From 20th June 2022 to 19th July 2023.
ii. From 20th July 2022 to 19th August 2023.
iii. From 22nd August 2022 to 21st September 2023.
Indian students who are pursuing studies in the 2nd & 3rd year of a three-year degree course and in the 3rd to 5thyear or five-year degree course or students who have completed their LLB course from any recognized college/law school/university.
Last date for application for the 1st Phase
- The last date for application for the 1st slot is 18th June
- The last date for application for the 2nd slot is 18th July 2022.
- The last date for application for the 3rd slot is 18th August 2022.
The 2nd Phase will be from November 2022 to January 2023 and the date of application for an internship will be notified on Department’s website in advance.
Number of students for internship in a month
The maximum number of interns to be allowed in given monthly slots will be 10-20.
Selection of interns will be on a first come first serve basis, subject to the availability of a slot and approval of the Competent Authority. All further intimations will be sent through SMS and Emails respectively.
Each selected intern shall be posted with an officer of the level of Deputy Secretary/Director/Joint Secretary/ Additional Secretary /O/o the Secretary, Department of Justice / O/o the Minister of State (Law & Justice)/ O/o Minister of Law & Justice with the approval of the Competent Authority.
Submission of Report
At the end of the Internship Programme, all the interns will be required to submit a report on the work undertaken in this Department.
Certificate of Internship
On satisfactory completion of the internship, a Certificate of Internship shall be awarded. For satisfactory completion inter-alia, 90% attendance is mandatory. This is a full-time internship to be attended physically and the interns are not expected to pursue any other course/work during the tenure of an internship.
The Department may terminate the training programme of an intern at any time without assigning any reasons.
Terms & Conditions
- The Intern as to make his/he own accommodation arrangement during the internship.
- Interns are required to present themselves at respective locations/premises from 9.00 AM to 5.30 PM unless otherwise permitted by the controlling officer.
- The Intern shall follow the rules & regulations which are in general applicable to employees of the Department.
- The Intern shall follow the confidentiality protocol of the Department and shall not reveal to any person or organization confidential information relating to the Department, its work and policies.
- The Internship is neither employment nor an assurance of employment with the Department.
- Interns will follow the advice given to them by the Department regarding representations to third parties.
- In the event of unsatisfactory performance, the concerned intern may be advised by the Department of Justice to discontinue the Internship.
- If the intern decides to disengage from the Department, prior intimation should be given to this Department.
- The dress code of interns shall be formal black pants with white plain shirts.
Selected interns are advised to contact respective Offices/ Admin Section in the Department of Justice for entry passes during the internship wherein the interns are posted.
Procedure to apply
The student willing to undergo an internship program in the Department of Justice may file his/her application along with relevant documents /a No Objection Certificate from his/her respective college /university. The application form can be accessed on the website https://dashboard.doj.gov.in/internship of Department of Justice. The students are advised to fill-up the form online and upload all the documents prior to the last date.
- For guidelines on internship, click here.
- For the format of the No Objection Letter, click and refer to Page 3.
- To apply for the internship, click here.
For further information/clarification kindly contact
Under Secretary (Admn.) atTele–011-23072137